The|Coinologist.

Always Buying Coins, Currency, and Cool Stuff.

1950’s Remco Electric Science Kit

with 5 comments

I came across this neat high-tech toy from the 50’s in Dallas.  This Electric Science Kit was made by REMCO, a toy company started in the 40’s who made all sorts of cool toys that baby-boomers couldn’t live without.  Their name originated from the two words “remote control,” a thing that was science fiction to any layperson of that time.  Remco acquired several licenses for popular culture acts such as the Beatles, Monkees, Munsters, Lost in Space, Batman and Star Trek.  Whatever the reason, Remco filed bankruptcy in 1971, needless to say they didn’t have the marketing masters of today on their staff.  I’m sure this science kit was a must have for many future NASA engineers.

Written by Robert L. Wilson

January 20, 2011 at 12:18 pm

Posted in Cool Stuff

Tagged with , , , , , ,

5 Responses

1. I had one of these as a kid. Would sure like to see a hi-res copy of those photos you have, or any others that describe the kit or the experiments. Any chance you could send me some better photos?

Larry McVan

November 19, 2011 at 5:49 pm

2. I also had one of these kits around 1960 or so and it started me down the technological path. Seeing these pictures was a wonderful surprise! Thanks for posting them. I too, would very much appreciate seeing any higher rez photos you might have.

Thanks.

Gregg

March 28, 2012 at 2:27 pm

3. I “earned” the 3 station kit selling Christmas Cards. It had two large and one small station. Dimmers, selector switches, buzzers, searchlights, and more. It’s how I learned basic electricity. I also had their Science Kit which had a built-it-yourself electric motor which powered a Van de Graff generator. It was WAY cool.

Steve Jaynes

October 9, 2013 at 12:09 pm

4. Well, not NASA, but Lockheed Martin. Had a red kit that had had the large control and two smaller remotes. Learned code, basic electrics, etc. Got ham license at 12, worked for Intel, Hewlett Packard and Lockheed. ALL of it, my whole life, started with this 1+2 electrical workshop/science kit. Thanks REMCO!

Fern

January 22, 2017 at 5:36 pm

5. I received my first kit when I was 6 in the late 50s and amassed many until I was 10 ( then I was allowed to rewire lamps, build crystal radios). They certainly were responsible for my continued interest in science.

Susan Zak