The|Coinologist.

Curator of Coins, Currency, and Cool Stuff.

Safe Find | Antique Victor Lock & Safe Co.

with 8 comments

Here is a Victor Lock & Safe Company product I found in the Denver Craigslist antique section that lets the imagination run wild.  Starting from the top, it has a decal stating Highest Award – Grand Prize for the Louisiana Purchase Exposition which was held in St. Louis, Missouri in 1904.  The  “Grand Prize” was award to Victor Safe And Lock Company for their display at the show.  They continued to take advantage of this logo for the next 15-20 years.  Literally every safe they manufactured during this period had this decal.  I guess some things never change.  Next we have a decal around the combination lock itself which reads “Department of Justice” “Federal Investigation” “Fidelity-Bravery-Integrity” seems pretty cool to think it might have held some highly classified documents at one time or another.  Hey it is army green!  Weather it did or didn’t it is still a neat safe, read on for several photos of this quality piece of “Made in USA” merchandise.

Written by Robert L. Wilson

April 19, 2011 at 4:19 am

8 Responses

1. I have this exact same safe in my basement. Not the same condition as shown, but enough info to know that this is the same safe. Any idea how many were made and how much they are worth.

Gino Olkosky

July 15, 2011 at 12:25 pm

• Don’t know how many were built, but they were a big company at the time. I would recommend calling an antique safe dealer, they should be able to give you an idea of what it is worth.

Wilsonian

July 15, 2011 at 1:30 pm

2. Hey ,I have the same safe, a little guy. I need parts for restoration,know where to get parts decals etc? need key and locking mech. for the inside.
    Steve

steve

August 22, 2011 at 8:18 pm

3. the one i have is going to my first married child. but out of curiosity i googled it for the first time in 9 years since inheriting it. has anyone determined a current value? i’m seeing around $800.

phil

December 6, 2011 at 5:09 pm

4. Does anyone have an approximate value on one of these Victor safes very similar to the posted photo?

LeAnn

December 30, 2011 at 2:15 pm

• Would really like to find exterior decal because I just finished restoring the one I have

James George

March 7, 2013 at 8:25 pm

5. Sorry guys, but the “Grand Prize” was issued for Victor Safe and Locks “DISPLAY” at the exposition, NOT for any individual safe. The J. Baum Safe Company also received a “Grand prize” for their display at the same exposition. May be they were exhibiting under different categories?

Andy

May 11, 2012 at 10:11 pm

6. My Victor safe is the same size but its pinstriped in gold leaf and has a picture painted on the door with the name B.K. Galbreath in goldleaf towards the top of the front. Any ideas of value yet guys.

Derron Dudley