Old San Francisco Mint
This Library of Congress photo of the San Francisco Mint was taken shortly after the 1906 earthquake, which happened 105 years ago today. The “Old Mint” as it had become known, turned $4 million in gold bullion into coins its first year. It was opened in 1874 and produced coins until 1937. This is the building where the 1893 S Silver Dollar, the 1894 S Dime, and the 1909 S VDB Cent were minted. In 2003 the federal government sold this building to the City of San Francisco for one dollar, an 1879 silver dollar struck at the mint. The structure is now home to the Museum of the City of San Francisco. Check out other Coinologist archive photo posts here.